A three storey building built 1935 and occupied by Alex Sloan & Co. Ltd, house furnishers and drapers until the early 1960s. The Ulster Sports Club relocated to the building from Ann Street in 1968.
The building survived the 1941 Blitz bombings whilst the buildings on either side were severely damaged and subsequently demolished.
The Ulster Sports Club hosted its last event in the building on 31 December 2018.
The property was acquired by the Beannchor Group in December 2018.
Merchant Hotel Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2019/0199/F) in January 2019 proposing to extend the Merchant Hotel into 96-98 High Street (former Ulster Sports Club) and change the use from a registered social club to hotel.