A £10m, four-storey, 67,000ft2 office building within a B1 listed building (built 1890 – 1891 by McLaughlin & Harvey for £18,000).
The previous preferred developer (PHAB) withdrew their interest resulting in Belfast City Council seeking a new development partner in 1999. Comtech Developments Ltd were selected to develop a 34,000ft2 call centre within the existing listed building. Comtech also initially proposed an extension to provide “The Bridge Learning Centre” although the Council decided that Comtech was not bound to provide this element of the development.
An alternative proposal by Kennedy Group involved the conversion of the building for the Christian Fellowship Church to provide church services, conference facilities, a restaurant, an exhibition centre and a drama venue. A second alternative proposal by Klondyke Community Group proposed a self-financing, community resource in the Klondyke Building. The scheme would have included 32,000sq ft of office space, which would provide rental income to fund the centre.
The completed development was purchased in 2007 by Farrelly & Mitchell on behalf of Elm Private III for £11.7m.