A three-storey building, with basement and attic, designed by Thomas Jackson & Son for the Scottish Amicable Life Assurance Company. Built by John Lowry & Son in dungannon sandstone between 1863 and 1864 at a cost of approximately £12,000 – £14,000.
G Heyn and Sons Ltd acquired the building c1920. The company managed the Ulster Steamship Company and owned the Head Line steamers which operated between Belfast and the Baltic ports, Canada, New Orleans and Galveston. The last Head Line ship was sold in 1979 although the company retained the building for a number of years afterwards.
The building received bomb damage in 1976 and following refurbishment was B1 listed in June 1979 (HB26/50/053).
Finnbrook Investments Ltd / Abey Developments Ltd carried out a £1.2m refurbishment of the building, including construction of a basement car park and additional space at roof level during 1999 – 2000 (planning references: Z/1998/2540 & Z/1998/2547). The redevelopment works were led by Alan Cook Architects. The building now provides 13,500 ft2 of office accommodation.