A three storey red sandstone building designed by Maxwell & Tuke for the Ulster Reform Club Building Company. Maxwell & Tuke were selected following an architectural competition; they later came second in the competition to design Belfast Central Library. Mr James Henry was appointed contractor and local architect William H. Lynn oversaw the £12,000 construction project between 1883 – 1885.
The building opened on 1st January 1885 with few significant alterations since. Electric lighting was installed in 1895 and in 1955 an elevator was first installed.
The Ulster Reform Club Building Company was incorporated in September 1881 and on 30 October 1882 entered into an agreement with The Mayor Alderman and Burgesses of the Borough of Belfast to develop the site at no.4 Royal Avenue, subject to a fee farm rent of £350 per annum.
The building was B+ listed in June 1979 (ref: HB26/50/107).
The building continues to owned by The Ulster Reform Club Building Company and is occupied by the Reform Club at upper floors and the ground floor commercial unit is occupied by a branch of the Santander bank.