A four storey red brick building designed by Young & Mackenzie and built 1882 as ‘Royal Chambers’. The building was owned by Sir. Robert J. McConnell (local estate agent and Lord Mayor of Belfast, 1900 – 1901).
The building was grade B2 listed in March 1996 (ref: HB26/50/226).
The ground floor retail unit at the corner with Rosemary Street was converted into 3no. Ulster Bank ATM machines in 1994 (ref: Z/1994/2178). The ground floor unit at 35-39 Royal Avenue has been occupied by Schuh since 2003.
Kirk Bryson (Northern) Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2021/1112/F) in April 2021 proposing to change the ground floor use from retail to restaurant and convert the upper floors to 13no. apartments.