A former, Grade B Listed (Ref No. HB26/284/0006) Methodist Church building with halls extending along Fountainville Avenue. The main church building was designed by W.J. Barre and built c1865 in red sandstone with pitched slate roof and incorporates a high vaulted timber ceiling within.
When the church closed due to declining congregation numbers it was purchased by Soll Developments. A planning application (Z/2007/0567/F) was submitted proposing to convert the church to office use including rear extension, demolition of adjoining buildings and replacement with 26 studio apartments and underground parking. The building was repossessed by the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) after Soll and a associated firm, Soll Lands, collapsed in 2009 owing more than £16m.
During 2014 the property was placed on the market with a guide price of £400,000. In October 2014 it was reported that J D Wetherspoon PLC purchased the building for around £800,000. A statement by accountancy firm PwC, acting as fixed charge receiver, put the purchase price at just below £1.25m.
J D Wetherspoon PLC submitted a planning application (Z/2014/1655/F) in November 2014 proposing to refurbish and reuse the church building as a public house. The application was approved in July 2017.
Lambert Smith Hampton placed the building on the market in April 2022 with offers invited in excess of £750,000. Marketing material indicates potential for conversion to office, residential and student accommodation uses, subject to planning permission.