A three storey stone building designed by Young & Mackenzie for the Masonic Grand Lodge of the Province of Antrim. Construction commenced in February 1953 and the building was largely completed in 1955 for the official opening in 1956. On the north elevation of the first floor main hall is a painting by local artist John Luke. The building was B1 listed in 1990 (HB26/50/196).
Previously on this site was Belfast’s Third Presbyterian Church; designed by John Millar and built 1829 – 1832. The church was destroyed during the 1941 Blitz.
The Masonic Lodge sold the building to Castlebrooke Investments during 2017. An auction for the sale of contents from the building took place in June 2017 and meetings are now held at the Arthur Square Masonic Hall.
The building is proposed for alteration and refurbishment (LA04/2017/2347/LBC) as part of Phase 1b (LA04/2017/2126/F) of the former Royal Exchange outline masterplan (LA04/2017/2341/O).
An indicative phasing strategy for Phase 1b shows the full phase of works commencing during Q1 2018 and completing during Q2 2020. The redeveloped former Masonic Hall will comprise a large retail unit accessed from the newly former Upper Lombard Street and restaurant use to the front of the building.