11-12 Upper Crescent form part of a three storey residential terrace built in 1846 by Robert Corry. No.11 was first occupied by the first clerk of Belfast’s Custom House, Mr. James Greene. No.12 was occupied by textile merchant, Sir Robert Boag. The businessman established the Albion Clothing Company and was Lord Mayor of Belfast in 1876.
Both properties were converted to office use by 1970 and listed in September 1979 (no.11 – HB26/27/028 E, no.12 – HB26/27/028 F).
Aurient Ltd acquired the property in 2015 with a view to refurbishing for office use. Noel Savage Construction Ltd commenced work in October 2016 but work was ceased by the end of 2016.
Aurient Investments Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2016/2155/F) in October 2016 proposing to re-roof the building and carry out internal and external alterations. The application was withdrawn in April 2018.
Aurient Ltd submitted two planning applications (LA04/2019/0898/F & LA04/2019/0929/F) in April 2019 proposing to convert no.11 and no.12 Upper Crescent to residential use (6no. self contained apartments in total). The applications were approved in October 2019.
Construction works are expected to commence early 2020.