A 4-storey building with attic 5th floor (originally topped with a number of small pediments), designed in Italianate style by David Salmond in 1881. An original ornate doorcase survives at no.13, however a similar doorcase at nos.1-5 was removed in 1977 when the building was subject to refurbishment works.
The building was built in two main sections, both grade B2 listed in June 1992:
1 – 5 Royal Avenue (HB26/50/225 A)
Owned by J. Robb & Co. Ltd, silk merchants and wool drapers until the 1930s. The company also owned the adjoining nos. 1 – 15 Castle Place. Originally comprised 2no. ground floor retail units and office space above. The first tenants of the ground floor units were Harbinson & Son jewellers (until 1888) and Leahy & Kelly, wholesale tobacconists. D. Lyle Hall, linen merchants acquired the building (along with 7-19 Royal Avenue) in the late 1920s and leased the ground floor to Prices (Tailors) Ltd from the 1930s until at least the 1960s.
A Spar convenience store opened at the ground floor retail unit in 2011.
A planning application (LA04/2018/0424/F) submitted in February 2018 by Cube (NI) Ltd and McCann Moore Architects proposes to convert the upper floors from office use to 9no. short term serviced apartments.
7 – 19 Royal Avenue (HB26/50/225 B)
Built with 6no. ground floor retail units and offices above. The building was completed in 1881 but remained entirely vacant until 1882 when the first occupants moved into the ground floor units. They were: R. G. Bolster & Co., outfitters; James Tate, chemist; W.J. Fletcher, watchmaker & jeweller; A.P. Dazell, hat maker, Rankin Bros. watchmakers, jewellers & opticians, Milligan & Co. steamship owners & coal importers. The building was acquired by D. Lyle Hall, linen merchants (along with 1-5 Royal Avenue) in the late 1920s.
The building was acquired by Angus Properties in 2014 for a reported £910,000.