The National

Last Update: 24 Jul 2016 | General Update

A five-storey concrete and steel frame building with painted terracotta and red-brick; designed by William Batt for The National Bank and built 1893 – 1897 by H&J Martin. The bank appointed John Brennan to alter and extend the building in 1922 and in 1939 H&J Martin carried out further alterations under the supervision of Fuller & Jermyn. The National Bank continued to operate from building until being taken over by the Bank of Ireland in 1966. The buildings exterior survived largely intact until the ground floor was re-clad and a small central balcony was removed in the 1980s. The Bank of Ireland relocated in 2002 and the building remained vacant for ten years.

Killutagh Properties and Hughes McMichael submitted a planning application (Z/2002/2621/F) in November 2002 proposing to refurbish and extend the building for office accommodation. The application was approved in March 2003 although no development took place and the building was sold to Beta Blok Ltd in December 2004.

Betablok Ltd and Box Architects submitted a planning application (Z/2005/2124/F) in November 2005 proposing to refurbish the existing five storey listed building and develop a new eight storey office building behind, connected via a shared atrium space. The application was approved in August 2006 although no development took place and the building was sold to Beannchor Ltd.

Beannchor Ltd and Consarc Design Group submitted a planning application (Z/2007/1422/F) in June 2007 proposing to redevelop the ground floor for use as a public house. The application was approved in October 2007 although no development took place.

Southcape Properties Ltd and Consarc Design Group submitted a planning application (Z/2008/1805/F) in August 2008 proposing a £10m refurbishment and extension of the existing building for use as a 68no. bedroom hotel. The application was approved January 2010 although no development took place.

Southcape Properties Ltd and Consarc Design Group submitted a planning application (Z/2012/0387/F) in April 2012 proposing a public house at ground floor and alteration to the upper floors. The application was approved in March 2014.

Strong Construction carried out a £700,000 redevelopment of the ground and first floor between June 2013 – September 2013. The ‘National Grande Café Bar’ opened in September 2013.

Cathedral Leisure Ltd submitted a planning application (Z/2014/0159/F) in February 2014 proposing change of use and alterations to the upper floors for use as a public bar. The application was approved in November 2014.

Strong Construction completed a £400,000 redevelopment of the upper floors during autumn 2014 and the ‘Sixty6’ cocktail bar opened on 4th December 2014.