A four storey arcade building running from 29-33 Donegall Place to 32 Fountain Street. Designed by James McKinnon for George Fisher in 1880. Opened as The Castle Restaurant and Queen’s Arcade.
Acquired by Frederick W. Henry in 1919 who operated the adjacent Carlton Cafe & Restaurant at 25-27 Donegall Place.
Hobart & Heron Architects carried out alterations to accommodate Austin Reed Ltd in the early 1930s (the ‘AR’ monogram can be found at third floor level in reference to Austin Reed)
Hobart & Heron would carry out further works in 1937 following fire damage.
The Arcade was owned by Prudential Portfolio Managers Ltd during the 1980s and 1990s.
Prudential Portfolio Managers Ltd refurbished the building facades and installed canopies over the Donegall Place and Fountain Street entrances in 1987 (ref: Z/1986/2416). The owners carried out further refurbishment works during 1994 (ref: Z/1994/2114).
The building was B1 listed in June 1993 (ref: HB26/50/228).
John H. Lunn (Jewellers) Ltd acquired Queen’s Arcade and the adjacent building at 25-27 Donegall Place in August 2002.
John H. Lunn (Jewellers) Ltd and Consarc Design Group submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/2609/F) in October 2018 proposing a £2m internal and external restoration of the building. Subject to planning the work is due to commence in January 2019 and complete by May 2019.