The site (0.19ha.) is currently occupied by two vacant two-storey public houses (Pat’s Bar & Rotterdam Bar). Pat’s Bar at Princes Dock Street dates from at least 1852 and the Rotterdam Bar at Pilot Street dates from the 19th century (rebuilt following fire damage c1863). The Rotterdam Bar closed in February 2005.
A planning application (Z/2010/0598/F) submitted in May 2010 proposed redevelopment of the site to include a 21-storey residential building comprising two ground floor bar / restaurant units and 112 apartments above. The proposal also comprised 112 car parking spaces at ground and basement level and landscaping works at the adjacent Barrow Square (landscaped in the early 1990’s by the Laganside Corporation). The application was approved in 2011 and expired in 2016.
Clementine Developments Ltd (the owner of the site) was placed into receivership in July 2009.
BDO NI (the receiver) and Michael Burroughs Associates submitted a planning application (LA04/2016/1104/F) in May 2016 proposing a residential building comprising two ground floor restaurants / bars and 112no. apartments above. The application was effectively a renewal of the previously approved application. The application was recommended for refusal in November 2016 however the agent withdrew the application on 23rd November 2016 before a decision was formally issued.
DTZ McCombe Pierce placed the site on the market in September 2016 with offers invited in the region of £500,000.
Documents from the receiver of Clementine Developments Ltd indicate that the site sold during late 2016.
Amigo Developments Ltd revealed plans for a 30-storey residential building comprising 190no. apartments over ground floor restaurant unit (95sqm) and retail unit (98m2) and basement parking. The proposal also includes a rooftop cafe/bar and public realm improvements to Barrow Square.