The Middleton Building was built on a 0.20 acres site in 1961 as a six storey office building known as Northern House. It now comprises a ground and mezzanine floor retail unit let to the Bank of Ireland with four upper floors of office space.
Castle Glen Development Company Ltd acquired the building in September 1999 for £2.175m and leased the ground, mezzanine and first floor to Bank of Ireland in February 2003. A related company, Vesey Properties Ltd, leased office accommodation on the upper floors to various tenants between 2003 – 2014.
The property was placed on the market in May 2015 with offers over £3m invited. SMC Property (NI) Ltd acquired the building in September 2015 for £3.17m.
SMC Property and Rapport Architects submitted a planning application (LA04/2017/1695/F) in July 2017 proposing to extend the office building with a new fifth and sixth floor.