A five storey building designed by Kendrick Edwards for J.D. Cheyne. Built 1932 – 1933 by Mr. Thomas McKee. When complete the building comprised three ground floor retail units and office accommodation above. Saxone Shoe Co. occupied the ground floor unit at no.15 from 1933 until c1990 (later occupied by Barratts Shoes). The London Midland & Scottish Railway Co. occupied the ground floor unit at no.11 from 1933 until the 1950s when the travel agents Thomas Cook & Son. Ltd. opened an outlet (relocating in 2008).
Lebreh Ltd and Coogan & Co. Architects submitted a planning application (Z/2006/0285/F) in February 2006 proposing a new four storey retail development behind retained facades. The application was approved in January 2008 although the scheme was not progressed.
The two ground floor retail units were let in 2009 to KFC and Poundworld. The Poundworld store closed during summer 2018 after the company entered administration.
The building was listed in July 1990 (HB26/50/198) and de-listed in August 2015.
Kirk Bryson Northern Ltd and Coogan & Co. Architects submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/0839/F) in March 2018 proposing to extend and convert the vacant upper floors to provide 37no. residential units, and associated external terraces and balconies, accessed via Fountain Lane. The application was approved in August 2019.