A seven storey office building and associated multi-storey car-park occupying a block bound by Adelaide Street, Clarence Street, Alfred Street and Franklin Street.
The building is a result of a development competition won by Prentice Estates and Ernest Knox Architects in 1987 to provide a new headquarters building for the Department of the Environment. Construction of Clarence Court comprised 30,000 individual pieces of stonework, 1,650 different types of reconstituted stone, 15,000 tonnes of concrete, 250,000 clay facing bricks, 2,000 tonnes of structural steelwork, 670 miles of cabling and 650 doors.
Clarence Court replaces Dunville & Co’s duty free warehouses. The warehouses were built c1865 and extended through to 11 – 17 Alfred Street. The warehouses were destroyed during the Blitz in 1941. The site remained vacant until Clarence Court was constructed between 1992 – 1994.