8 – 18 Castle Place (Castle Buildings) comprises a four-storey building designed by Blackwood & Jury; built 1904 – 1905 for C. McCullagh & Co. silk mercers and milliners, and extended in 1907. The building was later altered by Samuel Stevenson & Sons Architects between 1927 – 1928 for C. McCullagh & Co.
The building (excluding no.8 Castle Place) was sold along with 20 Castle Place to Merset Properties Ltd for £7.7m in May 2004 (directors of Merset include Andrew Creighton, Frank Boyd and Michael Herbert). Merset appointed WDR & RT Taggart to oversee the refurbishment of the facade and an extension to the rear in 2005. Mothercare opened a store at 10 – 16 Castle Place in autumn 2005. The unit comprises 2,800 ft2 of retail space at ground floor, 2,600 ft2 at first floor and 2,500 ft2 of storage space at second floor. The building was later acquired by Jermon Developments. Jermon Developments was placed into administration at the start of 2011 and the building has been in receivership since.
No. 8 Castle Place was placed on the market by Lambert Smith Hampton in May 2016 with offers invited in the region of £400,000. No. 8 Castle Place comprises a ground floor retail unit (500m2) and an additional 550m2 over first, second and third floors. The unit was previously occupied by clothing retailed East until the company was placed into administration and closed in June 2015.
A planning application (LA04/2016/2542/F) submitted in November 2016 by Kirk Bryson Ltd proposed to change the use of no.8 Castle Place from retail to hot food/restaurant. The application was approved in April 2017.
The unit at 18 – 22 is an amalgamation of part of the Castle Buildings and part of the neighbouring building at 20 – 22 Castle Place. The unit was marketed by CBRE throughout much of 2015 and was let agreed by the end of the same year to Costa Coffee.
MBCC Foods (Ireland) Ltd and McCarter Hamill Architects submitted a planning application (LA04/2016/1835/F) in August 2016 proposing a ground and first floor Costa Coffee outlet and 2no. apartments at second and third floor at 18-22 Castle Place. The application was approved in April 2017.
Works began to fit-out 18-22 Castle Place in June 2017.
20 – 22 Castle Place comprises a four storey red brick building designed by Thomas Jackson for Messrs Cantrell in 1866. Dr Cantrell operated an apothecary and chemist business (The Ulster Medical Hall) from the building until c1877. The building was then acquired by Davidson & Leslie, pharmaceutical chemists (later Davidson & Hardy) who operated from the building until 1958.
The ground floor shop unit was acquired by Wallis’s clothing store in 1958 to expand their existing store at no.18 Castle Place. The ground floor of no.18 and nos.20-22 were amalgamated into one unit. At the same time the original gothic shop frontage was removed.
The building was sold along with 8 – 18 Castle Place to Ewart Properties Ltd for £7.7m in May 2004.