Calvert House was designed as a five storey office building by Kennedy Fitzgerald Architects for R&B Calvert. The building was built by J. Wilson Ltd between August 1983 – January 1985 (Quantity Surveyor: Rue Stevenson & Sons; Structural Engineer: Armstrong & Shaw). The building received an RIAI Gold Medal for Architecture award in 1991. Previously on the site was Charles Lanyon’s 1863 Ulster Reform Club building. Following de-listing the building was demolished in 1983.
Calvert House was acquired by Glenbeigh Ltd in February 2008. DV8 fashion (a retailer associated with Glenbeigh Ltd) occupied the ground floor unit until temporary closure between September – December 2019 as a result of the Bank Buildings fire and safety cordon. The DV8 store closed permanently in September 2019.
Glenbeigh Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/2259/F) in September 2018 proposing to redevelop the existing building for retail use and install a new shop front elevation. The application was approved in March 2019.
Glenbeigh Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2019/1255/F) in April 2019 proposing amendments to the March 2019 approval (LA04/2018/2259/F).
MSM Construction and Harte Demolition commenced works during late September 2019.