The Brickworks

Last Update: 23 Feb 2019 | Project Status Updated

Currently a building contractor’s yard (0.36ha.) located between University Avenue and Rugby Avenue. H&J Martin Ltd, founded 1840, have occupied the site, historically referred to as the Ulster Building Works, since at least 1885. Lagan Construction Group acquired H&J Martin in 2015.

H&J Martin submitted a planning application (LA04/2016/2531/F) in December 2016 proposing to develop a residential scheme comprising townhouses and apartments arranged around a central landscaped courtyard. The application included retention of no.163 Ormeau Road (c.1879) and change of use to form 2no. apartments. The application was approved in January 2018.

Site clearance work commenced during June 2018.

The 19th century building at 163 Ormeau Road was damaged by fire on 24th June 2018. The following day the Fire Service confirmed that the fire was “deliberate but the cause of the fire is still under investigation“.  The building was subsequently demolished.

Glasdrumman Developments Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/1506/F) during June 2018 proposing alterations to the January 2018 approval. The changes were approved in September 2018.

Choice Housing announced a design and build partnership with Clonrose Developments Ltd in February 2019. H&J Martin will build the social housing.