A terrace of red brick warehouses built in the 1870s at 29 – 33 Bedford Street. The terrace comprises approximately 13,300ft2 across four storeys.
Colliers placed the 0.34 acres site (comprising the terrace and car parking to the rear) on the market during summer 2017 with offers invited in excess of £2m. The site sold in October 2017 for an undisclosed sum.
A public information event took place in June 2018 for proposals to convert the existing four storey terrace to office accommodation and develop a new office building on land to the rear (c.80,000ft2).
A public information event took place in October 2019 for proposals to convert the existing four storey terrace to office use with a cafe at ground floor and develop a new apart-hotel building to the rear.
Andras House submitted a planning application (LA04/2020/0659/F) in February 2020 proposing to refurbish the existing four storey terrace including alteration and partial demolition for office use (10,000ft2) and a new 15 storey apart-hotel building (comprising 154no. rooms) to the rear.
The application was amended in September 2020 to reduce the apart-hotel building to 13 storeys comprising 132no. rooms.
29 Bedford Street
No.29 Bedford Street was first occupied by Robert Davidson (linen manufacturer) until c1890. E.J. Elliott & Co. (linen & handkerchief manufacturer) occupied c1900-c1920. The property was vacant during the 1930s. From the 1940s until at least the 1960s the property was occupied by a number of linen companies including; J. Blair Ltd, George Angus & Co. Ltd, Glen Linen Co., Crawford & Co., Stitt & Co. and Reid Bradley & Co.
31 Bedford Street
No.31 Bedford Street was first occupied by Watson McCrum & Co. (linen manufacturers) until c1880 and then by Lyons & Woods (handkerchief manufacturers) until c 1901. Anderson & Co. (linen merchants) occupied from c1908 – c1920 and Acheson & Smith Ltd (linen manufacturers) occupied from 1924.
33 Bedford Street
No.33 Bedford Street was occupied by J.F. Haig & Co. Ltd (linen collar manufacturers) from construction in 1875 until at least the 1960s.