A three-storey red-brick building at the corner of Botanic Avenue and Mount Charles. Built c.1890 and first in use as residential properties. In more recent history this was the Botanic Lodge guest house.
Malone Estates Ltd submitted a planning application (Z/2008/2071/F) in October 2008 proposing to convert the guest house to provide 2no. ground floor retail units and 23no. self-catering apartments above, accessed from no. 89 Botanic Avenue. The application was approved in May 2009 although the scheme did not proceed.
A fire caused substantial damage to the building in April 2013 and it lay vacant until minor repair work was carried out in March / April 2015. The property were placed on the market by agents Osborne King in November 2015 with a guide price of £295,000. GVA NI acquired the property for their client, Rapsand Ltd for a reported £606,000.
A planning application (LA04/2016/0737/F) submitted by Rapsand Ltd and APS Architects in April 2016 proposes to demolish the existing building and develop a 4-storey building comprising 2no. ground floor commercial units and 20no. apartments above (accessed via Mount Charles).
The application was amended in February 2019 and now proposes to renovate the existing building for 2no. ground floor commercial units and 14no. apartments above. The application was approved in October 2019.
Construction enabling works commenced in December 2019.