A five storey red brick warehouse building built 1895 – 1896. The building was part occupied by R. Carswell & Son Ltd, stationers and printers since 1896 and the remainder of the building was leased to various businesses. R. Carswell & Son became Bell, Logan & Carswell Ltd during the 1950s and continued to occupy the building until at least 1960. The company was acquired by Century Press and reportedly continued to occupy part of the building until the late 1980s.
The building was placed on the market during September 2018 with offers invited in excess of £3m. The adjoining property at 23-29 Queen Street (a three storey rendered terrace dating from the 1830s) is also offered for sale.
The buildings at 31-39 Queen Street were acquired by Angus Properties during early 2019 and it is intended that they will be redeveloped for office accommodation.
Angus Properties and O’Toole & Starkey Planning submitted a proposal of application notice (LA04/2019/2932/PAN) in December 2019 proposing partial refurbishment, demolition and redevelopment of 31-39 Queen Street for ground floor restaurant / cafe use and office accommodation on the upper floors.