A two-storey building designed by Roland Ingleby Smith (Chief Architect, Ministry of Finance, 1922-1942) and built 1925-1926 for the NI Ministry of Labour’s Belfast Employment Exchange.
The building was extended towards Dunbar Link / Great Patrick Street in 1960.
The front elevation to Corporation Street was refurbished in 1993 (ref: Z/1992/2885).
Central Procurement Directorate and Consarc Design submitted a planning application (Z/2007/1851/F) in July 2007 proposing alteration to the buildings facade and interior refurbishment. The application was approved in September 2007. Department for Finance & Personnel and Consarc Design then submitted a planning application (Z/2008/1826/F) in August 2008 proposing to demolish the existing building and construct a new two storey government office building. The application was approved in June 2009 although no works progressed and the permission lapsed in June 2014.
The building closed in 2016. McCormack Demolition commenced demolition works in June 2017.