A three storey sandstone building with attic fourth floor. Designed by Thomas Jackson & Son and built by Mr. W. McCammond between 1877 – 1878. The building was built as a children’s hospital to replace a previous children’s hospital at King Street. The hospital admitted the first patients on 24th April 1879.
The Belfast Children’s Hospital relocated to the Royal Victoria Hospital site in 1932 and the NI Ministry of Home Affairs acquired the building for use as a police station. The R.U.C. station closed around 1993.
The building was B1 listed (HB26/50/027) in June 1979.
North Clothing and Ivory Architects submitted a planning application (Z/2002/1935/F) in August 2002 proposing to refurbish the building to provide retail and restaurant space. The application was approved in March 2003.
Sommerhill Residential Properties and RPP Architects submitted a planning application (Z/2006/1782/F) in July 2006 proposing to refurbish and extend the building to provide a36no. bedroom apart-hotel with lounge / bar / restaurant and conference rooms. The application was approved in April 2007.
Big Top Productions revealed proposals in December 2018 to refurbish and extend the building to provide a 78no. bedroom hotel with lounge / bar / restaurant and courtyard space.