Currently a building contractor’s yard located between University Avenue and Rugby Avenue. H&J Martin Ltd, founded 1840, have occupied the site, historically referred to as the Ulster Building Works, since at least 1885. Lagan Construction Group acquired H&J Martin in 2015.
H&J Martin submitted a planning application (LA04/2016/2531/F) in December 2016 proposing to develop 47no. residential units on the site (0.36ha), comprising 7no. townhouses and 40no. apartments, including landscaping and car parking and retention of no.163 Ormeau Road (c.1879) and change of use to form 2no. apartments. The application was approved in January 2018.
Site clearance work commenced during June 2018.
The 19th century building at 163 Ormeau Road was damaged by fire on 24th June 2018. The following day the Fire Service confirmed that the fire was “deliberate but the cause of the fire is still under investigation“. The building was subsequently demolished.
Glasdrumman Developments Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/1506/F) during June 2018 proposing minor alterations to the 7no. townhouses permitted in January 2018.