A three storey terrace of former houses built c.1840. A public house had opened at no.21 by 1918 and was operated by Mr McGeough until the 1940s. Mr McNair took over the pub around 1950 and by 1960 the bar was owned by Belfast Inns Ltd.
The terrace was refurbished by Ferguson & Wheeler Architects during 1988.
A planning application (Z/2008/0628/F) submitted in March 2008 proposed to demolish the terrace and develop a 9-storey hotel with ground floor bar/cafe and reception and 103no. bedrooms on the upper floors. The application was withdrawn by the applicant in April 2010 before a decision was issued.
The Washington Bar, Bistro & Restaurant opened in January 2010 following refurbishment. The Washington name is assumed to reference the former Washington Hotel that was located at no.3 Howard Street during the late 19th and early 20th century.
CBRE placed the property at 15-21 Howard Street on the market in December 2017. The marketing brochure states that it is an “opportunity to purchase, goodwill, freehold, fixtures and fittings” and invites offers in excess of £2.5m.