A three storey red brick building located between Castle Lane and Cornmarket and fronting onto Arthur Square. Designed by Robert G. Watt and built at a cost of £8,000 by William McCammond JP between 1888 – 1889 for the Grand Restaurant & Cafe Company Ltd. The Grand Restaurant & Cafe opened in May 1889 and comprised a buffet area, luncheon room, smoke room and a grand dining room, all “beautifully adorned with encaustic tiles and faience by the Burmantofts Company”.
By 1899 the majority of the building was occupied by Mooney & Co.Ltd as a licensed house and shop. Money’s continued to occupy the building until closing c1980. Frazers clothing store operated from the building until c2007. Clothing retailer White Stuff refurbished the building and opened a 3,900 ft2 store in October 2010.
Previously on this site was the Thistle Hotel.